Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Back with the recap!

First off, I apologize for not recapping last week. I screwed my back up and couldn't muster up enough "butchness" to sit up and write a blog. I am much better now and am ready to get to action.

So, last night was "Rat Pack Standards" night.

I am once again in complete dismay at who they have "mentoring" the kids. Jamie Foxx? Seriously? Are they going to have Jim Carey next week? I understand Jamie did a fine job as Ray Charles, but that makes him no expert on giving advice to contestants whose fate is based on their singing passion and his advice. You have to think that they all talk behind the scenes about it.
Kris Allen took the stage first and he did "The Way You Look Tonight". I admit when Jamie said "Kris wasn't a contestant that did throat olympics" I let my head go to a place that it probably should not have. I was not really impressed with his performance...matter of fact, I imagined myself at an empty airport at 1:00am looking for a bloody mary and Kris playing his last song of the night with a tip jar 1/4 filled with ones. I was disturbed when Simon said his performance was "wet". WTF??

Allison was next. She did "Someone to Watch Over Me". Allison celebrated her 17th birthday on Monday, so it's hard for me to critique her like I would everyone else. I was kind of phasing in and out of conciousness when she performed, but I will say she did better than Kris. Her personality is starting to show and grow on me.

Matt Giraud really disappointed me with his rendition of "My Funny Valentine". I expected he would do so good because of his background with Jazz. I also think he was looking forward to this week because he gets to wear a hat that would be appropriate for his performance. Is it me or did his ears look really huge with that hat? I dont know, Matt may be in trouble. His song just drug by last night.
Danny Gokey did "Come Rain or Shine". Was anyone else disturbed with Jamie Foxx's invasion of personal space as he was giving Danny advice. It was very strange. Anyhoo. Danny did a decent job in my opinion. I really like his raspy, smokey notes. That's where his strength is.

And, finally. Adam Lambert. Holy shit. This guy is just unbelievable. He did such a sexy versioni of "Feeling Good". From the moment he came down the stairs, I got chills. I try not to get chills because I don't want to be biased. But, again, Adam owned his performance and owned the stage. Randy was right when he said that Adam was there to win and every week he proves it over and over. That awesome note that he hit last night still resounds in my head.

My prediction tonight:

Bottom 3 Matt, Allison, Kris
Going home: Matt

No comments: